Saturday, April 13, 2013

Get Your Dimsum Fix at Tsim Sha Tsui



Chinese dumplings have been around for a long time and these little whimsical pockets have been fully embraced by all over the globe. I love dumplings, whether they're steamed, boiled or fried. They're cute and easy to eat. I love the idea that these delectable bite-sized dumplings are mostly served in threes in small plates or in bamboo steamers. That way, you can try a whole variety. 





The interior of Tsim Sha Tsui looks modern and fresh with clean white lines mixed with lime green hues accented with hot pink paper table mats. Beautiful lanterns hanging from the ceiling add a touch of Asian design. 



Service at this restaurant was quick enough although I cannot say the same if it was at peak hours. I came in pretty early. (I'm actually embarrassed to take photos while eating out. It makes me uncomfortable when other people look at me. That's why I like to eat out before it gets crowded especially if I'm doing it for the blog). The only complaint I have about this restaurant is the lack of table napkins or tissues for that matter. You have to ask for it. They also don't serve complimentary hot tea. In Hongkong, hot tea is typically served with dimsum.


You can also dine outside in the terrace, slowly bake and melt in the heat like I did as I was looking at the big fat "SUMMER" sculpture on the ground floor with disdain. Dining outside was A BIG FAT MISTAKE. Twenty minutes later after I had my photos, I couldn't stand it anymore and moved back inside the restaurant. Ahh, thank goodness for airconditioners!


Tsim Sha Tsui serves up an array of dimsum piled up high in rolling carts.  With over 60 varieties to choose from, you definitely won't be bored.
Portion of the menu


Fan Quo (PHP 68.00)
Glutinous rice dough is stuffed with seasoned pork mixed with shrimp and cilantro, folded and pinched with meticulous care. (OR NOT- You can see the one on the left breaking apart.) It doesn't matter. It was still delicious! The dumpling was delicate and bursting with flavor. The filling inside was tender and moist. Its flavor was intensified by being sealed inside the wrapper upon steaming. The texture and thickness of the skin was just right. It was slightly chewy but not gummy. I couldn't be sure but for some reason, I thought that the dumpling also had nuts in it. 


All dumplings are served with a combination of sweet sour sauce and spicy chili sauce. 



Ha Kao (PHP 70.00)
I am torn by this dumpling. I was happy with it because the flavor was spot on and it was delicious. The shrimp filling was juicy and flavorful from the ginger. On the other hand, I was disappointed because the dumpling just fell apart. The filling came tumbling out of the wrapper on to my plate as I was about to put it in my mouth, holding it with chopsticks. The bottom of the dumpling stuck to the metal plate even though it sat on a thin piece of carrot. The skin was too soft that it wasn't strong enough to hold it together. It was a mess to eat.

Ha Kao (PHP 70.00)
Fried Wanton (PHP 63.00 )
Savory ground pork & shrimp filling stuffed in wanton wrappers and fried to a wonderful light crispness


There is something so extremely satisfying about biting into this crispy fried wanton. Slightly blistered and golden outside, that wonderful crunch followed by a burst of flavor upon the first hit of that moist stuffing makes you wish that everyday is dumpling day. It gets even better dipped in that sweet and sour sauce. I didn't feel cheated because the filling was a mix of sweet shrimp with savory pork.


Bokchoy with Mushrooms (PHP 60.00)
Boychoy (chinese cabbage) is stir-fried with shitake mushrooms in a savory garlic sauce.
Veggie haters can say what they want but you can always expect veggies to make an appearance whenever I eat out. It's just how I roll. Veggies are good for you!



{In case you're wondering why some of the photos look brighter than the others, it's because they were taken on different dates.I shot most of the photos outside the restaurant the first time on a really sunny day and on my second visit, inside the restaurant, hence the difference in lighting.}

Three Types of Mushrooms with Broccoli (PHP 70.00)


Spring Onion Pancake (PHP 38.00)
I've had better, moist onion pancakes at a few Korean restaurants. This was savory, flat and chewy. The good thing is that the flavor of the green onions was not overpowering. Bad thing is that the texture of the pancake was a little on the dry side.

I didn't feel like eating rice so I opted instead for this Wonton Noodle Soup.


Wonton Noodle Soup (PHP 68.00)
Pork dumplings in a  savory, fragrant hot broth with thin and springy egg noodles
It was very tasty and the serving was just right. I had more than enough with all the other dimsum dishes on the table.

Wanton Noodle Soup (PHP 68.00)

Tsim Sha Tsui easily has the best dumplings in Cebu in my opinion. Their prices are slightly higher compared to Dimsum Break or Harbour Dimsum but the quality of the dimsum is also better. If you are a dumpling lover, then this is one Dimsum restaurant not to be missed.

TSIM SHA TSUI 
Location: 2nd floor, Terraces, Ayala Mall, Cebu City 
Contact Number:
Restaurant Hours:  Daily from 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM