Monday, April 30, 2012

Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake


I love layers in my cake, how all the different flavors mingle together to form one perfect harmony. Just like this cake. It's got a moist buttery cake, thick cream cheese filling, sweet jam made from fresh strawberries and a nice crumb topping. What could possibly be better than this? It IS the PERFECT coffee cake!

The first time I made this cake, I was careless and in my hurry to finish, I added the wrong amount of butter and my cake turned out dense and rubbery. It tasted as if it was undercooked. My poor colleagues had to eat it all. hehe. I finally got it right the 2nd time around though. This cake was so delicious it was completely worth all that effort.

I've never seen anything like it in any of the coffee shops around my city but my Aunt from California said that it was just like the one she orders at Starbucks. It reminds me of the Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins I made not too long ago because of the same elements they share but it is better than those muffins. WAAAY BETTER! This coffee cake is just so perfect paired with a nice cup of hot coffee or tea.

STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE
recipe adapted from Anny's Blog

Butter Cake & Crumb Topping
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into chunks

1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

3/4 cup sour cream (full fat)
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cream Cheese Filling
1 - 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg

Strawberry Filling
1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, cut into pieces
3 tbsp sugar
3 tsp water
1.5 tsp cornstarch

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8 inch round pan with removable bottom with non-stick baking paper.

Prepare the strawberry jam. 
Combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry in a bowl. Mix the strawberries and sugar in a pan. Cook over low heat until the strawberries release their juices about 5 minutes, then add the cornstarch mix and stir until well combined. Stir for another minute or two until it has thickened. Remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature while you prepare the rest of the cake.

Prepare the cream cheese filling. 
Beat the cream cheese on medium speed for about 30 seconds until smooth. Add in the sugar and egg and beat until well combined.  Set aside.

Prepare the cake.
Combine the flour and sugar together in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter or just 2 forks, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Measure 3/4 cup of the mixture and set aside. Add the baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix well.

In another bowl, beat the sour cream, egg and vanilla extract until well blended. Using a hand whisk or a spoon, stir gently into the flour mixture until just incorporated. Batter may be a bit lumpy. Set aside.

Spread the batter in the pan, with about 1/2 inch up the sides, also leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges bare (like making a well). Pour the cream cheese mixture over the batter, being careful not to go beyond the border. Spread the strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup crumbs over the strawberry filling. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the cake.

Just looking at it is making me hungry right now. I just LOVE this cake!


Absolutely yum!




43 comments:

  1. This is the best coffee cake I have ever seen. You should sell this to Starbucks and I'm sure you'd be a millionaire :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice idea.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with pleasure... hope you enjoyed the cake! :) thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. How should one store this cake...fridge or plastic cake holder? Thanks! I want to make this for family, but I will be traveling by car 2 1/2 hours away from home after making. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Melissa,
      Thanks for dropping by! :) As for the cake, since it has a dairy cream cheese filling, I would suggest to wrap it securely in plastic wrap and then store it in the fridge for 3-4 days. Let it come to room temperature first for 30 minutes before serving. I think the chilled cake should be okay even after traveling for a couple of hours. Let me know how it turns out! :)

      Delete
  4. Made this the other night. I got rave reviews from everyone. So delicious. Seemed to take awhile to brown on top and to set up but very yummy. Am looking forward to trying the blueberry/almond version as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Dori@richestorags said in her blog, it can possibly make you the legendary person with "that cake" :) So happy to hear that!

      Delete
  5. Yummmy in my tummy!!! It looks delicious!!! I have to make it!! But there goes my DIET!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I know what you mean! But... I always tell myself, if I eat good for 5 days a week, I can always indulge on the weekends (though it's easier said than done lol)

      Delete
  6. Could I use jam that is already made and how much would I use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Latisha!
      Yes, you can substitute strawberry jam or even blueberry jam for this. I'd use about a cup or so (more or less) depending on how much you like. It might be better to heat it just a little in the microwave (but not too hot) so that it's easier to spread on top of the cream cheese.

      Delete
  7. This looks so yummy, I am droooling just reading about it :).
    Can't wait to see how it tastes and holds up when made GF.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for dropping by, Dede :) This cake is a real winner! Let me know how it turns out, gluten free version!

      Delete
  8. Hello, I'd like to make this enticing cake for my mother - she loves her coffee and adores strawberries! I was wondering about the size of my eggs, though; I don't think they qualify as "large" eggs. Can I use two small eggs in place of one large egg, or should I just stick with one? Will it make a distinct difference, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaclyn, I researched it online and it seems that a large egg is equal to about 3 1/4 tablespoons if you want to be exact so maybe you can beat one egg, then measure it. Otherwise, just try the recipe with one egg, whatever size you have and see how it turns out.

      Delete
  9. "Batter may be a bit lumpy."

    Mine was like dough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too...not sure whether to add another egg or just bake it like it is.

      Delete
  10. What size pan do you use? Did I miss it? THIS LOOKS AWESOME! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah.... found it!!!! Now to find an 8-in. pan!

      Delete
  11. I think I may use sour cream in this too... I noticed the original uses yogurt. And I like how you use 8oz of cream cheese, instead of 6. You did not need to adjust the sugar? This looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay... update! I made this with cherries and your changes of sour cream and 8 oz of cream cheese. Also, I made an error by adding 1 cup of sugar to batter instead of the divided 3/4. I brought it to work and it was gone in about 30 minutes, no lie! This is a keeper (and I think I am keeping the extra sugar, shhh!) Thank you for the recipe.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you and your colleagues enjoyed it, Isla Bee :) Greatly appreciate you dropping by! The original recipe used a total of 1 cup of sugar, divided into 3/4 cup for the batter and 1/4 cup for the cream cheese filling. I've also looked at other similar recipes and they used sour cream instead of yogurt, which also made the cake moist. I liked how the cake wasn't overly sweet and perfectly balanced the sweetness from the strawberry filling.

      Delete
  12. This looks yummy, and I can't wait to try it. I don't think I have an 8-inch pan with a removable bottom. Do you think a 9-inch pan would work?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dont get what you mean when you say to leave 1/2 inch around edge bare like making a well...you saying that you leave a gap between the batter and the cake pan walls? If so, wouldnt the batter run to the edges as its liquidy? Also 1/2 inch up the sides meaning 1/2 inch deep layer of batter? maybe its just me but I found this very confusing but my husband wants me to make this cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I may answer your question Kiah Reece....if you scroll down from the top of the page to the 5th photo you will see that the cake batter lays across the bottom of the cake with a raised edge, so that there is a 'well' for the rest of the layers to sit in. Once you have the cake batter in the tin then put your cream cheese layer in and then the jam layer and then the crumb topping.....hope that makes it a bit less confusing.

      Delete
  14. Wow! Perfect cake.. Great idea Jo-ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wondering if I could make cupcakes out of this? Right now I have the cake in the.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I dont have a pan with a removable bottom, could I use a regular pan? I'm fairly new to baking, so I apologize if this is obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shea,
      Yes you can use a regular pan but removing the cake from the pan can get a little tricky. I tried it one time and to remove it, I had to cover the top with a plastic wrap, put a thin folded towel over it and then a plate over the towel and inverted the whole thing. If you do it wrong, you could probably break the cake. Make sure to line the sides and the bottom of the pan with non-stick baking paper before baking and run the edge of a knife along the sides before turning the pan to remove the cake. Hope this helps! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
    2. I used a 9' spring form pan. Turned out perfect

      Delete
  17. Hi, thanks for sharing such a yummy recipe can't wait to try it but I love peaches instead of strawberries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think peaches would be great for this recipe too! Even a peach-mango combination sounds like a winner. Hope you'll enjoy the cake, Amber! Let me know how it turns out. :) Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  18. I CAN'T WAAAIIIIT to make this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is was absolutely fantastic!! Will definitely be making this again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful recipe. I have just posted this on my blog. Thank you for a wonderful recipe. This will be a keeper for sure. Andi http://thewednesdaybaker.blogspot.com/2013/09/strawberry-cream-cheese-coffee-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Made this for the first time and my batter came out so sticky, making it hard to distribute in the pan. What could I have done wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just wanted to say i really hate you... seriously.. I am trying to diet.. i stumbled across this page when looking to make something easy for the wife and kids.... i have practiced good self control so far.. this is going to probably end my good run.. mouth watering pictures, great smell in the oven...It has to be for the kids, only the kids,right? maybe just one little taste...I hate you :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for sharing this delicious recipe! I've made this cake several times and it's always loved by everyone. By far one of the best things I've ever made! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hola!
    Me ha encantado tu receta y encima está deliciosa! Seguro que la vuelvo a preparar. La he publicado en mi blog y la he enlazado al tuyo.
    Te dejo el enlace por si te quieres pasar ha echarle un vistazo.
    Muchas gracias por la receta
    Mil besos
    http://azucarenmicocina.blogspot.com.es/2014/06/pastel-de-bizcocho-crema-de-queso-y.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. This coffee cake looked so yummy, BUT, it is, at this moment, overflowing all over my oven! I should have followed my instinct and used a 9" or larger pan, the batter alone almost filled the 8" pan. I hope what is left in the pan after the remaining 25 minutes of bake time is worth the cost of ingredients and time!!

    ReplyDelete