Sunday, April 14, 2013

Seattle's Best Coffee Makes the Best French Toast I've Ever Had

Herb Omelette with French Toast at Seattle's Best


I've never even heard of the group, Imagine Dragons, until I watched The Host the other day. Since then, I haven't been able to get their song, Radioactive, out of my head. Um, let's see. No. of times I've listened to it on youtube: 20 and still going up. It's such  an awesome song! Ironically it talks about the apocalypse and the new age. It sounds a lot like The Walking Dead to me.




"Brain Food" pastries to go with Zombie-kula
Assortment of mini-cakes
I had an awesome breakfast two weeks ago at Seattle's Best Coffee, the usual Herb Omelette with four BIG slices of French Toasts. To say that I like it is an understatement. I must have ordered this single meal on four different occasions and is the reason I always look forward to my Saturday morning brunch. It's becoming an expensive habit. This is seriously one big plate that I'm amazed to be able to stuff everything in. This one is a close second to the Vanilla French Toast from Lemoni Cafe in Boracay.

Herb Omelette with French Toast (PHP 150.00)

I think the omelette is quite possibly the best way to cook eggs. Simple, frugal yet satisfying. There is something so magical about this classic dish. It takes a lot more than merely scrambling eggs to make the perfect omelette. 

This crepe-style omelette is thin, light as a souffle and delicate, rolled up and stuffed with soft pan fried potatoes. Chopped fresh parsley and a pinch of salt mixed with the eggs brighten up the dish. As much as I like the combination of potatoes and eggs, I much prefer tomatoes and mushrooms or spinach with cheese. Pack in the veggies and cheese, you know? Besides, who doesn't like cheese?! 


Their french toast is not consistent. I've had it better in my previous visits than on that day. It was still good though. The french toast wasn't soggy, which happens when you soak the bread too long in the egg-milk mixture or if you add too much milk to the custard. It was still a little chewy with a nice crisp on the surface and around the edges. I might be imagining it when I thought I could taste just a teeny hint of maple flavor in the french toast. Maybe that's what I was looking for and that's what this dish is missing unfortunately. French toasts are meant to be eaten with a dash of powdered sugar and a drizzle of the sweet maple syrup. Orange marmalade is better with butter and plain toasts but hey, that's just me. 



As I was waiting at my table, I saw this on the far wall. I thought that was strange. What was it doing in a coffee shop? 



The Walking Dead is only one of the best TV series these days. Daryl is reason enough to keep watching the show. :D  (With how fast the turnout of the main characters are on the show, let's hope he lasts for a few more seasons!) 


Peppermint Mocha Zombie-kula Drink (PHP 170.00)
It turns out that Seattle's Best Coffee has a new drink inspired by the popular TV series. Now I'm not a big fan of cold coffee drinks with big fat swirls of cream on top. I usually like my coffee hot, plain and black or with a little milk like a latte but how can I turn away from a zombie-fied drink really?




It was a rich, creamy peppermint mocha-flavored coffee with a swirl of cream on top, sprinkled with green chocolate shavings (not even mint flavored) and drizzled with chocolate syrup (there's also more syrup at the bottom). The green chocolate shavings are supposed to represent rotten "brains" or something. It was a very nice cold drink but at PHP170.00 per cup, the price was steep! Sheesh, it cost more than my breakfast! 



On the other hand, I'm not buying this again. Once was enough just to try it. You know how you feel after eating too many desserts or sweet things that you feel sick in the stomach afterwards? That was how I felt. I should have just stuck with a hot drink. 
 Have you tried this drink? Do you also watch The Walking Dead series?  What did you think about Andrea getting axed from the show?  It's a real torture to have to wait until October for Season 4. I can't wait to see what happens next season.


SEATTLE'S BEST COFFEE 
Location: Ground Floor, Terraces, Ayala Mall, Cebu City 6000
Open on mall hours from 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM