Friday, June 1, 2012

Coco Rouge Velour Cupcakes


I know I've been away for a while and I apologize for my absence. I've been busy experimenting in my kitchen, endlessly making cupcakes one after another, week after week for my little home-based business so you'll be seeing a lot of cupcake posts from now on. I have a long way to go down my list and hopefully I can finish everything before my trip in July.


Oh, the great news! We got the Schengen Visa! Woohoo! Helloooooo Netherlands and Paris, here we come! I'm so excited and I'm already counting down the days and weeks until July. Paris has always been my dream ever since I was in highschool and I can't believe this is finally happening. This may sound silly but about 2 yrs ago, I created a vision board with all the things I want in life after watching a video on youtube about The Secret. That vision board, believe it or not, really works!

Moving on to the cupcakes...Red Velvet has always been my all-time favorite. I came across a photo online of a slice of cake called Coco Rouge Velour from a bakery in Montreal and thought it was an interesting combination, coconut with Red Velvet. Though skeptical at first, the cupcakes were surprisingly good. The chewiness of the coconut flakes added a nice texture. The batter was based on a vegan recipe and it yielded the most delicious, moist, best red velvet cupcakes I've ever had. REALLY. This is the 3rd time I've tried Chef Chloe's recipes and she has never let me down. She truly makes the most amazing, perfect cupcakes. Since these are made with oil and not with butter, these cupcakes will keep moist for days even inside the fridge.

COCO ROUGE VELOUR CUPCAKES
recipe adapted from Chef Chloe

Dry
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar

Wet
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 bottle (15ml) Mc Cormick Red food color

1 - 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut flakes for topping

Preheat the oven to 350. 

Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl to get rid of the lumps. Set aside. In another bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together until well combined. Add the dry ingredients. Using a hand whisk, stir until just combined. Do not overmix.

Divide the batter between the cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Frost the cupcakes.
Cover the frosting completely with sweetened coconut flakes.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1  8oz cream cheese, cold
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature for 10-15 minutes
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the butter until light and fluffy on medium speed. Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth for about 40 seconds. Reduce speed to low and gradually add in the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla extract. Increase speed back to medium and beat for 1-2 minutes until well combined. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before frosting the cupcakes.