Sunday, July 28, 2013

Barbe-Cruise

As I was writing this post yesterday, my colleagues were happily speeding away on yet another boat trip. I didn't go with them. Not exactly the best time to spend at the beach nor go swimming with the wet, gloomy weather this season. Now that summer has ended, it's been raining miserably nearly everyday. Boooo. It's the kind of day that makes me want to stay inside and curl up with a blanket, a nice bowl of warm potato cheddar soup and a good movie. 

Two months ago, we also went on another boat trip. The original plan was to visit 3-4 islands (Nalusuan, Sulpa, Hilutungan and Kaohagan) with the rented boat. You may get off the boat and explore the islands if you pay the entrance fees. 

First stop was Nalusuan Island and Marine Sanctuary. Wanting to avoid the PHP 200 entrance fee, we decided to park outside the marine sanctuary perimeter, perhaps close enough to still find some colorful NEMOs. My colleagues were already busy putting on their life vests, anxious to get in the water (so glad to see I'm not the only one who can't swim and who's scared to drown in this group. lol). 

That expression on R's face is priceless.
 I, on the other hand, was lurking near the BEST PART of the trip - the food.


The boat staff fired up the grill and loaded it with fresh seafood on skewers. 


more grilled food - pork, fish and chicken


"Please-don't-eat-me" begging face
 I almost feel sorry for the skinny crab.  Luckily, I don't fancy crab meat. 


Chicken and prawns and crab and squid... The truth is, my doctor told me to stay away from seafood and chicken until I get a skin patch test to know for sure what triggers those annoying red welts to come out.  but what the heck, I will eat whatever I want. I paid the itchy price afterwards.


Someone else was more than happy to nosh on my share of the crab. Sorry, Mr. Crab.

Inun-unan na Bangus


The rice is hiding in the huge pot in the middle.
 
 Fresh fruits for desserts

So now that everyone's been well fed and happy, it's time to do something a bit more fun~

Philippines vs Korea:
Who's got the best midair pose?
M - "Fly like a bird"

C- "Tuck the Tummy"
R- "Crabbing"
S - "On bended knees"

And the best jump goes to..
Gangnam Style! 

with full emotion, arms thrown back and a gaping mouth :D

Just shortly after our nice relaxing lunch, the weather suddenly turned from somewhat gloomy to scary. We had to head back sooner than we hoped for. The waves got fiercer and bigger with storm clouds looming over us.  Sea water splashed on our faces as we quickly headed back to the mainland and I could feel my panic level rising a notch each time the boat's bow tipped into the water. It made me seriously wonder just how sturdy those outriggers are. My fellow lifevest-wearing non-swimmers snickered at me when I hurriedly scrambled to put on my orange lifevest and held on to it for dear life, arms and legs covered in red itchy welts. Our CEO & president was also giving me funny looks. But I didn't care. Nothing and no one was going to separate me from that life-vest lol. I was so relieved when we finally reached the shoreline and made it back in one piece.

If you are interested in renting a boat to visit other islands near Cebu or if you would like to go scuba diving:
Boyla Hotel and Diving Resort
Buyong Maribago, Lapu-Lapu City
Contact Number: (032) 492-9823
Email: boyladiveresort@yahoo.com