Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sajoer Boontjes: Say what?

 

Autumn was coming in early when I arrived in the Netherlands. I had brought my winter jacket with me but that is too warm to use at this time so I had to buy another jacket. The hubby took me to the Centrum and we went inside a nice boutique that was selling a good black leather jacket for 40 euros. The lady at the shop asked if I was from Indonesia. I suppose Filipinos and Indonesians look similar. Perhaps there aren't that many Filipinos where we live.

Indonesia was a Dutch colony in the past and gained independence right after the 2nd World War. The Dutch love Indonesian cuisine. You can see a lot of sambal oelek or sate saus (peanut sauce) being sold in the supermarket. Nasi Goreng or Bami Goreng is also popular with the locals. Even the chinese restaurant across the street sells some sort of kip sate (chicken in sate sauce).

So when the hubby grabbed this sauce packet at the supermarket, I was at first hesitant.

Sajoer Boontjes. What the heck is that? Some strange sauce in a strange language. Or could it be the name of the dish?

But he insists that it's really good so I went along with it. At least the ingredients are short, the recipe as easy as 1-2-3. 

Google tells me that Boemboe (Bumbu in Indonesian) is some sort of Balinese Peanut Sauce. The ingredients I'm not sure about but I'm glad we bought it. This dish turned out very tasty, healthy and easy peasy to make.  Hubby doesn't eat pork so I added some leftover chicken and some carrots to the original recipe. It was so good I will definitely be making it again.



Here's what the sauce looks like.
Thick, mildly sweet, spicy with slight sour notes, very suspicious that it might even have peanuts in it.

I was already in love with it at first taste.


Next, chop up your veggies (green beans, carrots, onions, garlic and I added some ginger  for an extra flavor.)



Cook it in the pan. Add some water and the sauce.


and after 5 minutes..... voila! Dinner is ready!



SAJOER BOONTJES
serves 3-4
400 g green beans, cut in half
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into strips
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 inch ginger, finely minced
200 ml water
leftover chicken (1 cup) or 1 chicken breast fillet, cut into chunks
2 tbsp olive oil

Saute the onions, garlic and ginger in olive oil on a pan over medium heat. Add the chicken. Stir fry for 1 minute (or longer if using raw chicken, until it is fully cooked). Throw in the beans and carrots. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the water and the sauce to the pan. Stir until mixed with the vegetables. Cook for another 3 minutes or longer until the sauce is nice and thick.  Serve with hot rice.

Yes! We're having rice for dinner! *pumps fist in the air*

Eet Smakelijk!