Monday, March 25, 2013

Strawberry Basil Yogurt Smoothie


While the hubby complains about the almost freezing temperature in the Netherlands and  that he can't wait for spring to come, I'm melting as I write this post in the evening here. I have a fan blowing on my face and yet I can still feel the sweat trickle down the sides of my face, down my neck, down my back. Can you imagine if it was midday then? My room literally turns into a big oven without an air-conditioner. It is so hot and humid! With a weather like this, you definitely need a cold shower twice to three times a day. Even ten minutes after that, you're already sweating like crazy.


OR... even better, get a cold, delicious smoothie like this. It's not only nice and refreshing, it's also healthy!


STRAWBERRY BASIL YOGURT SMOOTHIE
serves 2 small glasses

1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped
half of a medium sized banana, sliced (frozen is best)
1/2 cup non-fat milk, chilled (or vanilla almond milk)
1/3 cup non-fat yogurt, chilled  (or non-fat strawberry flavoured yogurt)
5-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (do more or less depending on your tastebuds)
2-3 tbsp honey 

Blend all the ingredients together until nice, smooth and creamy. Enjoy.


How easy was that? :) 

NOTES: Chopped fresh strawberries and bananas before freezing them. If you use frozen fruits, make sure to thaw it a little bit unless you have a powerful blender. Increase the amount of yogurt for a thicker smoothie and adjust the sweetness accordingly. To make it more of a milkshake consistency, I would put the blended mixture in the freezer until it is almost frozen (but not rock hard solid) and break it lightly apart with a fork then blend it again until nice and thick. Vanilla almond milk has less calories than non-fat milk. Other add-ins: Rolled oats, chia seeds or whatever you fancy.